4.12.2009

Easter

"Jesus died and came alive again."

This is exactly what Trace and Sydney will say if you drill them for the real meaning of Easter. It is such a simple statement, yet so profound. I am so grateful for the true meaning of Easter, the atonement of Jesus Christ, and what it means to me personally.

"Of all the events of human history, none is so significant as the resurrection of the Son of God."
Gordon B. Hinckley

*******************************************************************************

Now, for the true meaning of festivities. This year's fun mainly took place on Saturday. The hunt, which consisted of tons of candy, toys, and treat-filled plastic eggs scattered all over a vacant lot across from Gina's house, was a success despite the rain and abundance of deer droppings. We made sure no one mistook them for chocolate covered raisins. Tragedy avoided! The kids had a great time "searching" for Easter eggs and I was pretty proud of the loot they earned, even if the candy was a little moist.

As far as a visit from the actual Easter Bunny on Sunday morning, it didn't happen. Let me take you back a moment to Tyler's childhood when his dad (aka Big Steve) shot the Easter Bunny. I'm not sure how many bullets were used, all I know is he's dead. And, somehow this tragic news got out to Trace. Two nights ago when I was putting Trace to bed he said,

Mom, why did Grandpa "take down" the Easter Bunny?

To this, I had no reply. I just told him to talk to Grandpa about it.

Therefore, Easter eve and morning at our house was pretty uneventful as there was no anticipation of cottontail's arrival. I must say, at first I was not on board with taking the E.B. out of our children's lives, but when 11 pm rolled around last night, and I was very tired, I ended up feeling great about it. Instead of the almighty E.B. dropping off presents and MORE candy, the kiddos received new pj's and crayons from....get this....Mom and Dad! And, you know what, WHY NOT take credit for the nice things we do?!?

Don't worry, I'm going to keep the shotgun out of Big Steve's reach when Santa's coming.

4 comments:

[Morgan] said...

i want credit.
this bothers me each year at christmas.
sure.... SANTA will bring you great things kids.
bogus.

Brenda said...

Ha Ha, I remember when my mother told me that she had shot the Easter Bunny, we were teenagers at the time and we were mad! (Can you say spoiled?)

hOLLIANN said...

That is so freaking funny! When Jaxon was 3, and Krew was just a wee lad, I left them baskets on their beds. Jaxon asked me if the Easter bunny brought them... "expletive...NO! I stayed up all night putting those together!" Mom and Dad should so get the credit!

hOLLIANN said...

And I am thinking that we should actually hand over the gun to Steve for Santa...I can't keep up with all the fairy tales they tell at school. When Jaxon asks me a question about Santa my reply is always, "Whatever makes you sleep better at night little buddy!"