7.06.2009

Eye Carumba!


Last week, Trace had a fight with Nash's suspenders.
Score after only one round:
Trace--0
Suspenders--1


Picture this:
I'm busily cleaning house (no laughing, please) when all of a sudden, I hear Trace start to cry, and cry, and cry. I figured he was jumping on his bed again, and hurt himself, again. No rushing upstairs necessary. After about 2-3 minutes of wailing, I decided to offer some support.

Here's a taste of the dialogue that occurred:
Trace: My eye, my eye!
Me: What's wrong with your eye? What happened?
Trace: I don't know, it just started hurting!
Me: Did you hit it?
Trace: No! NO!! I don't know what happened.
Me: Why is it hurting?
Trace: I don't know, it just started hurting. Really bad.

There was no apparent wound on his eye initially, and since they're so Asian-like (no offense CamErin), I had to pull his eye down to further examine. I then got a nice visual of a long blister-looking thing that was bluish/redish on the white part of his eye.

Since Trace was claiming that it spontaneously started hurting, my optimistic mind begins to go there:
eye tumor = cancer of the eye = surgery = lots of debt = blindness = everything else horrible I could think of.

So, within minutes we're in the car and Tyler's getting an appointment for me at the eye doc's. As all the wonderful thoughts are going through my mind in the car, I notice that Trace's crying has weakened.

Me: Trace, is your eye starting to feel better?
Trace: A little bit.
Me: Do you know what could have happened to it?
Trace: I think I might have hit it with a belt-thing-y.
Me: What?! This information would have been helpful 20 minutes ago!!!
Trace: (Silent)





















The story ends like this: Eye doctor verifies that he does in fact have a very nasty wound on his eye that will self-heal, but the bigger concern was his very, very poor vision. (This did not result from the fight, just so you know). Stay tuned for pictures of Trace and his new specs, coming in August.

8 comments:

hOLLIANN said...

I can't believe this...I want to do a research project on how many first born children wear glasses, especially when the parents don't.

On a lighter note...my word verification

squinato...very fitting I thought.

BTW - I found the cutest glasses at the university mall (the store up by Mervyn's)

Kristen said...

I saw his eye when we ran into Tyler at the sweet corn stand on State. Poor thing, he just hid behind his Dad. You must have freaked out. I hope it gets better soon.

Megano said...

poor trace and his asian eyes! I'm glad he didn't have a flesh eating eye thingy...... he's still so handsome!

Saedi said...

This is so fun! Ok, now I sound really mean, but it was fun to feel like I was there for the whole story. Much better than just hearing you freaking out over the phone! heehee.

Saedi said...

Hey, just wanted to tell you that my mother in law is a HUGE sugar sweet corn fan. We were over there the other night and she has a carload of corn, cantaloupe, watermelons and cherries. I think she might single handedly keep you in business!!!

The funniest part of this is, when I told her that I was friends with the owner's she said: "I knew whoever owned them had to be wonderful people!"

Ryan, Melissa, and Family said...

LOL...I can't help myself..the way you tell the story makes me laugh!! Poor little guy:(

The Mechlings said...

your mom told me the story (i've been VERY slack about blog checking while on vacation) but reading was still RICH!! I'm sure he will look like a little stud in whatever stylish little glasses you get him ... Cady said he'll be like Arthur (on PBS)!

cAM said...

That's my boy!