11.17.2008

Liar, Liar

One of my favorite movies, now starring my own daughter!

A few weeks ago, there was an incident with Sydney and lying. I really didn't want to blog about this because it's something I don't think I want to remember in years to come. But, there are just too many funny stories building around it, so I might as well just share.

Day one:
I noticed that Nash's borrowed Bumbo had been decorated with pen (it was evident from the delicate cursive scribbles that it was Sydney's mark). I actually kept my cool, at first, and confronted Sydney.

"Did you do this?" I inquired, pointing at the graffiti.
"No." Sydney answered casually.

"Sydney, don't lie, did you do this?" I asked sternly.
"No, Mom, I didn't." She replied with more passion.

Oh, I know, I thought to myself, she doesn't understand what lying is yet, she's only 3. So, I took a brief teaching moment and explained to her what a lie is. Then, I calmly asked again, reminding her to tell me the truth,

"Syd, did you do this?"
"No, Mom" was her reply again.

"Sydney, do not lie to me, did...you...color...on...Nash's Bumbo?" I asked, starting to panic, wondering what to do next.
"No, Mom! I did NOT do that. I did...NOT...color on Nash's Bumbo!" She said with all her dramatic might.

It was at this point that I began to doubt myself.
Maybe she didn't do it, I thought. She certainly seems upset that I would dare accuse her. But, who could have done it? Did some spiteful 3 year-old come into our house, make cutsie scribbles on the Bumbo and frame Sydney?

Errrrrrrrrrt! Wake up Paige!! I silently said to myself while mentally slapping my face. I quickly had an inaudible pep talk with myself...
You know she colored on that Bumbo now get her to fess up!!!

"SYDNEY!!!" I yelled. "I KNOW YOU did this! If you do not tell me you did it right this second, you are going to sit in time out!"

The corners of her mouth started to turn up into a devious little smile. "Oooookay, Mom................I did it."

While she was slowly admitting her guilt, I was quickly trying to figure out what to do. I've never been blatantly lied to four times by a preschooler before.

So, after she received her Emmy Award, and made her acceptance speech, I forced her to wipe off the Bumbo, and then, she sat in TIME OUT! I then questioned my abilities as a parent for the rest of the day, and became even more anxious thinking about Sydney as a teenager.


Day two:
Sydney was watching a TV show and the little boy lied to his mom. I was sitting right next to her, and I said, "see Sydney we do not lie." She looked up at me and retorted,
"But, he still looks happy."
Hmmmmmmm.

Days two, three and four:
Trace prays every night that his sister will stop telling lies.

One week later:
Here is a little conversation Sydney had with Celeste, our babysitter while I'm at work:
Sydney: Celsete, sometimes I tell lies.
Celeste: Why do you do that?
Sydney after some deep thought...Because Jesus wants me to be happy.
Trace (shouting in the background) "THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE!"


So, there you have it. Liar liar pants on fire....but, we still love her a whole lot!


10 comments:

[Morgan] said...

ah ha ha ha!
she's good.

love your picture on top!
i take you had more than one taken right? show more! show more!

hOLLIANN said...

I LOVE that you can use the word BUMBO in a serious sentence without totally cracking up!

Jons and Celeste Leigh said...

Oh man, too funny.
When Jackson Five showed up on my blog list with a new story called "Liar Liar" I figured it was about Syd...

Yes it was a pretty accurate portrayal of my conversation with Sydney about why she tells lies. Followed by Trace shouting "That doesn't even make sense!"

Cute Sydney.

Megano said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!! That is hilarious!!! Oh my I read it and then had to read it again for Stefano... oh my that is so funny!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!Paige... she's got spirt I'll say that much for her... she is far from lacking personality.. Love it!!! Glad you shared the post.. it is the funniest story I've heard all week!

Unknown said...

Oh man, so been there with Jacob so far...I always know when he's lying, he does this funny look and I just know...but it is scary how good they are it at such a young age! By the way I love all your new pics on here!

Mari said...

So naughty and yet so funny.

Brenda said...

What's a bumbo? My granddaughter calls "Dumbo" - "Gumbo", so maybe they're related? Good luck with the lying and just generally surviving as a parent, it's not for the faint of heart!

Erin said...

love that sydney. she cracks me up. she's quite the actress at three years old.....

Brenda said...

Okay, I went to a baby shower today and learned what a "Bumbo" is.

Saedi said...

I can't catch my breath! Seriously, tears streaming down my face! That is the funniest story I've ever heard! I love that girl!