1.29.2009

Confession

I throw away all of my kids' artwork and pictures from preschool... I also chuck myriads of colorings, paintings, doodlings, and pasted artwork they produce on a daily basis.

All of them, gone.

Before you judge, let me explain myself. I am the de-clutter queen. I can't handle messes. You wouldn't know this about me if you came to my home unannounced, but when I do have time to clean, I get rid of EVERYTHING. And, it feels GOOD!

I have been caught and tried on several occasions by Trace and Sydney. I feel so bad when they walk over to me, crumpled artwork in hand, and ask if I know why their picture was in the trash. I hate to lie to them, so I think of it as more of a "dumb blond" response, "Ooops! how'd that happen?" One or two days later, it's back in the trash...the outside one.

So, in a minor attempt to right this wrong, I am going to scan some of their best pieces and post them for all y'all to see! They really are cute little artists, and I would categorize most of their work as "abstract". Happy viewing!

Title: Funtastic
Medium: Watercolor
Artist: Sydney, 3 1/2


Title: The Forgotten Shapes
Medium: Construction Paper & Glue Stick
Artist: Trace, 5


Title: Gumbi's Distant Relatives
Medium: Pencil
Artist: Sydney, 3 1/2


Title: Untitled
Medium: Crayola Washable Paint
Artist: Trace, 5


Title: Ponies and Rainbows
Medium: Crayon
Artist: Sydney, 3 1/2
Not bad for her age, huh?


Title: Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fightin'
Medium: Crayon
Artist: Trace, 5


I just showed Trace this post, and he is frantically coloring so he can scan more pictures onto the blog. Should be a high production day for artwork around here.

Title: Billy the Parrot
Medium: Crayon
Artist: Trace



Title: Belle to the Nth Power
(Sydney has literally colored this same picture about 100 times)
Medium: Crayon
Artist: Syd



Title: African Safari with bandaged Gazelle and Rhino
Medium: Cardstock, Stickers Masking Tape
Artist, Trace





Name this movie:

"Everyone turn up your volume...Arts and crafts time is going to be extended by three hours today..."



15 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey, first of all, I love your family picture! Very nice.

Second, although I have yet to toss every artwork by my kids, I do have a pile that is waiting to be scanned. I think it is a great idea . . . I plan to make a book out of their artwork so they can have it later on. But I never thought of titling it and writing in the mediums! Great idea!

Jons and Celeste Leigh said...

Oh, thats awesome Paige. I can totally see Trace at the table determined to produce some wonderful masterpieces for the blog! Your titles to some of their "abstracts" made me crack up (especially Gumbi's distant relatives). You do have very creative kids.

Knowing you are a de-clutter queen does ease my conscience a bit... I always seem to find piles of pre-school art when I clean out my car...and it usually, regrettably, ends up the same place it eventually does at your house. Don't tell Trace and Sydney!!!

Julie and Kyle said...

okay, i thought there was something seriously wrong with me... i throw away EVERYTHING. cant stand clutter either. really... will gavin want those half drawn on pictures from pre-school 20 years from now? lets hope not. ps- my word verification is a naughty word. hehe.

summonz said...

Paige! I am so glad you found me! And I am so glad you posted all of that amazing artwork. I haven't been to a museum and received that much inspiration in such a long time!!! I have the best idea...do not throw away these masterpieces...you should be selling them online and be making a fortune!

GageThompson said...

You are hilarious. The art is inspirational and the family pic beautiful. I have yet to get a family photo since Gage was born..am I a bad mom?

Kari Ann said...

Your kids are very talented! I have just caught up on your blog, it's great! I love your new family pictures also, if I haven't told you yet.

hOLLIANN said...

Way to go the extra mile and use a scanner out of guilt! I stack all my kids artwork together (at least the stuff from school), and put it in a binder. They think a neat stack in a colorful storbought binder = super mom. Now, I am super mom for many other reasons not before mentioned, but saving is not one of them...I was outed at the doctor...does your mom hang your artwork on the fridge. No, she hangs it in the trash...whoops, how did that get in there!

Erin said...

first lesson learned from paige: consolidation. that girl loves to consolidate. i've been trying to follow in your footsteps.
my kids have both gone through the trash with looks of horror on their faces.
what i'm really impressed with, though, is your mommy-ing. look at you, allowing the creative juices to spark in your home. and even paint, and glue! my kids are lucky if i pull out the crayons once a month. even luckier if they get play-do once a year. i keep them on a srict tv only diet.

Louise said...

Paige, you are raising a couple of budding Picassos. It's good to see my grandkid's creative juices flowing. My personal favorites are Gumbi's Relatives by Syd and the animal safari picture by Trace.

Kristen said...

What talented children you have. Dave has finally learned the number one rule to throwing away items of sentimental value. Bury it deep. You first crumble it up and push it way deep in the trash.

Unknown said...

I love the artwork! And thank you so much for the comment you made on my blog today!

The Mechlings said...

that was a great idea!! I'm the same way ... the teachers send home all this "artwork" and I feel bad just tossing it in the trash ... maybe i'll have to copy you on this one!!

Laura said...

You are hiliarious Paige!! I love the artwork and that you have grown such creative kids!! I need to hire you to come and throw everything out of my house because it really is impossible for me to do! What a great idea to scan it...I am going to have to do it or our house is going to light fire to itself with all the nice paper "tinder" I keep around!

Brenda said...

Hee hee hee. I learned early on as a de-cluttering, junk hating, mother of 5, that you have to throw their "art" away on ACTUAL TRASH DAY, early in the morning or late the night before, so the evidence is off site quickly! Great idea to scan them, I did save a very few "really good ones", but that's it!

Saedi said...

The movie.....is Happy Gilmore. I'm laughing myself to death!