2.17.2010

Classics

As Sydney sits on the couch watching her latest favorite show, The Sound of Music, I am reminded of a funny story.

A few weeks ago, I came home from doing the grocery shopping. When I walked in, I noticed Tyler and all the kids were on the couch watching a movie. All I saw on the screen was Nuns in full Habits singing. Immediately, I went to my mental movie repertoire and said, "Hey are you guys watching Sister Act?" (One of my childhood favs, I might add...Whoppi was GeNiUs!)


Tyler glanced over at me, and with a condescending look replied,

"No, Paige, we're watching The Sound of Music."


We both laughed out loud because it's the perfect example of how differently we were raised.

When Tyler was a lad, he watched musicals, went to symphonies, and practiced fine etiquette at nice restaurants (doesn't all of that just SCREAM Tyler?).

Meanwhile, when I was a youngin' in the South, I watched classics such as Sister Act, Sister Act 2, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, The Never Ending Story, and Return to Oz, just to name a few. And, we dined every Friday night at Pizza Hut where my brothers, dad, and I would have spit ball fights. *Cringe*

Yeah, we had quite different upbringings, but somehow we mesh pretty well together.

I'm becoming more open-minded to musicals and whatnot, and Tyler, well, when you get past the bad-A exterior, down to his deeper layers is pretty darn refined!



*PS--Did anyone see the Oprah about Nuns? I learned that Nuns believe they are married to Jesus. That seems awfully presumptuous to me, but what do I know, I'm just married to mortal Tyler.

9 comments:

The Mechlings said...

Proves how much South you have in you that you said youngin' ... it's young 'un, girl!! And by the way, you have 3 chirren, just so you know!! Hope all's well with you guys! (can't believe you didn't mention Major Payne as a family favorite!!)

Saedi said...

Oh man, I love you! Reading your blog always guarantees me a good belly laugh! I have to say, I think all of the movies listed are total classics! The musicals, and the goofy shows. I love them ALL!

[Morgan] said...

ha ha ha.
this is all i can ever think of when leaving you a comment.
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
this info on nuns is news to me. ha, who?

Megano said...

Ah yes stefano and I have the same problem..... at christmas time I'm thinking about watching 'white christmas' (love bing crosby) while stefano wants to watch christmas vacation.... Us Jacksons are a strange breed. How did we end up so crass? OH yeah our dad is steve.

Erin said...

paige...you had to bring Tyler down to your level, right? I mean, how did he even get around before you?

Laura said...

okay so Never ending story is like the BEST movie!!!!! I think I did little of both ...we watched all your movies and had straw braking contests at mcdonald's ( you know where you roll up both sides tight and then flick it?) as well as watch sound of music and listened to classical music...maybe I'm more like a mix of you two...you child of sorts :)

hOLLIANN said...

I am afraid I am a product of the Paige school (my dad)...my mom just shakes her head at the rest of us! My all time favs...fletch and fletch lives.

The Andersen Adventures said...

Opposites attract, right! I love it! Informative nun news! You're always so entertaining!

Brenda said...

I don't think my hubby will EVER be open minded about musicals! The classic movie from my kids' childhood is "Christmas Vacation" I even buy it for all of them for their first Christmas after they get married. The in-laws cringe.