4.24.2008

Motherhood vs. Fatherhood

I have come to the sad reality that when it comes to fun, free time, coming and going as you please, and an overall a sweeter life, Dads take the Gold. Let me give you just one example of what I mean.

We have been planning a trip to St. George for the last 2 MONTHs. The day finally comes when we're supposed to go, but my anticipation of our trip was thwarted when Tyler informs me the day before that he is planning on going to the Jazz game Thursday night. So maybe, he suggested, I should try to go down with Chris and Erin. He'll meet us in St. George on Friday--early afternoon, he claims. Hmmmmm, that sounds awesome for
YOU! I'll just pack up three kids, clothes, toys, sunscreen, snacks, and all the other supplies that are necessary for a family of 5, and head on down. Cara-vanning with Chris & Erin will make it sooooo much easier on ME. Thanks for the suggestion.

So, as I have been stewing over my predicament today, I've come to the reality of it all: being at home all day with 3 kids, feeding them, wiping butts, playing games, refereeing fights, nursing every 3 hours, whipping up spaghetti-o's for dinner and printing off pictures to color before I try to put them to bed at 5:30 p.m. (do you think that's too early?), is not quite as enjoyable as going out to a delicious, quiet, kid-free dinner with your newly dubbed boyfriend, Will, and hitting the Jazz game after work. What I get to do when I'm done with "work" is,......well, clean the kitchen still dirty from last night, fold laundry from 2 days ago, feed Nash, again, and to mix it up a little, catch up on some bill paying.

All I'm saying is, I wish I had the freedom to call Tyler and say, "I don't feel like being Mom today, so take care of everything and I'll snuggle up to you when I get home." Is that too much to ask?

Ok, now, I am very sorry that some of you have fallen victim to this random rant, but I do feel much better now. My venting is now over, and I hold no grudge because Tyler is great father and husband 99% of the time. He just happens to also be a male...lucky him.
I also would like to say that I love being a mom and I love my children dearly, so please don't get the wrong idea. It's just been one of those days!!!

As for the St. George trip, we'll try again another time. I was kinda getting used to the snow anyway.

P.S. I hope the Jazz lose, badly.

10 comments:

Melanie said...

I hear you, Paige. And even if I do get "real, FREE" time, I never know what to do with myself because none of my friends ever have free time either--or at least we never have it at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Girl, you need to put your foot down...see that would never happen in my house! I'm sorda kidding, but man I'm sorry you didn't get to go on your trip and you had to go to the HD by yourself...ughhh, I don't even want to think about doing that with 2! I hope you're doing well! This is Lori by the way:).

The Mechlings said...

that is freaking hilarious, Paige!! but so very, very true. And the dads don't think a thing of it ... they're not trying to make things unfair or more difficult. It's just that they have NEVER, EVER packed up an entire family, complete with diapers, clothes, toys, sunscreen and car entertainment so they don't realize what hard work it is!! Way to put it into words, girl!

The Mechlings said...

oh, and I forgot to mention my complete support of a 5:30 bedtime. This time of year it gets tough, though ... it's just too light!!

hOLLIANN said...

My mom used to put tinfoil on the windows - that makes 5:30 seem like midnight...oh and the ps - that was gut laughing - great workout!

paige said...

As you can see I get Zero RESPECT I don't really do anything all I do is what ever I want. It is good to be me

The Mechlings said...

that previous comment HAS to be from Tyler!

paige said...

yes, that comment was from Tyler and I have been COMMANDED to take back what I said about the Jazz....NEVER!!!

Laura said...

Paige I LOVE IT!!! I was totally feeling that same way today!!! They just don't see it!! They think working a long day at work is so hard! Well, I've done that and this is WAY HARDER!! The only thing is this is what I want to do...it would just be nice to have a break OCCASIONALLY!!! Totally hilarious and NEVER take back the PS!!!!

cAM said...

HEY, do you know where I can get some Ketchup? We've been running a little low over here at our house.

Apparently I've been replaced by some goofy doofus named Will. If I see him, he's going to get a big ketchup bomp on the head.

As for Tyler...typical! You'd think after all of these years, he'd take lessons on being the husband and father of the year from me. Sorry Paige, there's only one of me. But, if you're lucky, that just might be enough.