7.29.2008

A Tribute to the Blanket

Every baby has something they need to soothe them--a pacifier, blanket, stuffed animal, whatever. Trace's love happens to be a baby blue and white striped flanel/satin blanket. Currently, however, the blue and white stripes are unrecognizable, and you probably wouldn't believe that it was once made of flanel or satin.

I knew that this was Trace's soother when he was 4 months old and he started suckling when I put it near his face. Strange, I know.

The beloved blanket starting tearing when Trace was about 2, and I panicked. So, I commissioned a sweet hispanic lady to make another one. Apparently these blankets can only handle about 2 years of Trace's abuse and blanket #2 began to rip when he was 4. I was not about to have another one made, so in desperation, I asked Trace if I could cut a piece off of it for him to have. To my complete surprise, he agreed.

The "blanket piece" as it is now known has been our enemy ever since. Trace carries it with him everywhere (so you can imagine how nasty it is) and at some point took the obsession to an even stranger level--he started sniffing it. Disgusting. Seeing how his blanket was quite large, we have been able to cut off a new square every time he loses one. I'm guessing to date there are about 20 or more missing blanket pieces out there alone, without pigment, and unsniffed.

Well, today I have some possibly very good news. Out of the blue, Trace decided that he didn't need his blanket piece anymore. He has not asked for it once today and by golly, he did not ask for it when I put him to bed at 7:30 pm. IT'S now TWO HOURS LATER AND HE STILL HASN'T ASKED FOR HIS BLANKET PIECE--JUST EVERYTHING ELSE HE CAN THINK OF INCLUDING BOOKS, DRINKS, POTTY TIME, ETC.

I AM this CLOSE TO GIVING HIM HIS BLANKET PIECE SO I CAN GET SOME PEACE!!!



Sydney's not afraid to touch "the blanket piece"

4 comments:

hOLLIANN said...

Why don't you cut yourself a sniffing piece...that might give you some peace...You are too funny Paige! My day is much better reading that post...too funny!

Mari said...

I'd say that is both cute and a little gross at the same time. And pretty funny. Good luck!

The Mechlings said...

that is hee-larious!! someday trace will be so embarrassed that he was attached to a blanket piece. A blanket has some respectability, but a blanket piece?? I bet 16-year old trace will find it pretty embarrassing and you can have so much fun telling his dates!!

Erin said...

what?!? No blanket piece?! That is discouraging to hard core blanket lovers. I thought Trace would have that thing until college atleast, then I wouldn't be alone in my blanket obbsession. Maybe u just need to recover the blanket piece and get him back on track... What do ya think?